Dec'12 IIP growth at -0.6%, lower than expected
Perspective on IIP numbers
By Mr. Dipen Shah, Head of PCG (Private Client Group) Research, Kotak Securities:
The IIP growth for December 2012 at (-)0.6%, was lower than expectations. The November 2012 IIP figure has also been revised downwards. The contraction in December was on the back of poor performance of manufacturing and mining sectors and decline in production of capital goods as well as consumer goods. The manufacturing sector, which constitutes over 75% of the index, registered a contraction of 0.7% in December.
The IIP growth of 0.7% during April – December 2012 reflects the broad-based slowdown across sectors. The consistently weak reading on IIP may support RBI’s supportive monetary policy stance. However, the budget provisions and further reforms initiatives from the Government are expected to have a greater influence on its decision, is what Kotak Securities believes.
Kotak Securities is one of India’s largest share broking firm offering demat account, online trading, mutual fund and IPO investing service’s along with a research division specializing in Sectoral Research and Company Specific Equity Research. Express your views on their Facebook Page and Twitter Handle (@KotakSecurities) or you can also visit www.kotaksecurities.com for more information.
Have a question?
- New Banking license issued; what's in it for you?
- IIP numbers for Feb 2014 show a disappointing trend
- IIP: Sugar Sector drives IIP into negative zone
- FDI in retail and the food security bill to boost India’s cold chain industry; but role of government will be critical
- IIP growth for May'13 de-grew by 1.6%
Also On IndiaNotes.Com
- Want more from your savings account? - Opt for the best interest rate
- How Can I Invest In the Indian Share Market?
- HCL Tech quarter update: Results marginally below estimates
- Quarter Update: Accumulate Bajaj Auto and Hero MotoCorp