Monetary Policy: RBI keeps policy rates, CRR unchanged
- RBI left policy rates and CRR unchanged. A moderate surprise was a 100bp reduction in SLR to 23%.
- FY13 growth estimate was lowered to 6.5% from 7.3% earlier while Mar-13 inflation estimate was revised up to 7% from 6.5% earlier. Monetary projections were left unchanged.
- Policy stance retreated to accord highest priority to inflation control followed by growth and liquidity. This contrasts with the Apr-12 policy where the first two priorities were altered.
- The guidance remained hawkish and made any easing conditional on fiscal progress and contingent upon unexpected deterioration of global situation.
- The moderate surprise was on account of SLR cut which is unlikely to be effective at this juncture with banks holding 4% excess SLR and outlook for credit growth and quality muted.
- Monetary policy seems ineffective for now as (1) High policy rates have had little impact on inflation, and (2) Onus of both growth and inflation lies on the government. Still, we believe, RBI needs to be more flexible in its approach in tackling the growth-inflation dilemma.
- Motilal Oswal believes that evolving growth-inflation situation increases the probability of a rate cut in coming policy events.
Click here to read the full report
Motilal Oswal was founded in 1987 as a small sub-broking unit, with just two people running the show. Today it has a 2000 member team with a networth of Rs7 bn and market capitalization as of March 31, 2008 at Rs19 bn.
For more information please write in to email@example.com
Disclaimer: The author has taken due care and caution to compile and analyse the data. The opinions expressed above are only the views of the author, and not a recommendation to buy or sell. Neither the author nor IndiaNotes.com accept any liability whatsoever arising from the use of any of the above contents.
- SBI cuts short term deposit rates, will other banks follow suit?
- Note on RBI's 4th Bi Monthly Monetary Policy Statement, 2014-15
- Views on RBI Policy - Motilal Oswal
- RBI monetary policy review:Rates unchanged on expected lines
- Fourth Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy Statement 2014-2015
Have a question?
CFP - Keynotes Financial Opiniery
|Tallinex - FX Trading|
Also On IndiaNotes.Com
- Buy Larsen & Toubro For Target Rs.1,840.00 - Sharekhan
- Kotak Mahindra Bank: Right fit; significant synergies in long term