- Indian operations: High cost negates realisation gains The sales volume of 1.59mt (flat y-o-y) was broadly in line while blended realisations were above estimates, rising by 4.6% q-o-q. However, standalone EBITDA at Rs27.8bn was well below the estimate of Rs29.6bn due to high cost of power and external coke purchases. The company bought ~Rs4bn (incremental) of external coke owing to partial shutdown of the existing coke oven batteries even as new batteries in the recently commissioned 2.9mtpa facility are yet to be commissioned. The sequential increase of 19% in power cost was led by an increase in tariff.
- International operations lead to PAT outperformance: Consolidated PAT at Rs5.9bn was above the estimate of Rs3.2bn due to a better than expected performance in TSE (Tata Steel Europe) wherein realisations increased 8% q-o-q, leading to an EBITDA/t of $36 vs an estimate of $14. TSE sales volume (at 3.2mt) dipped 9.5% y-o-y, but was in line with estimates.
Outlook and valuations: The management maintains that H2FY13 will see an improved performance in India with issues related to coke purchases, power costs and volume growth seeing a reversal from Q3FY13 onwards. It also expects an uptick in TSE volume in H2FY13 even as the FY14E EBITDA estimate for TSE is conservative at $172mn against $114mn reported in Q1FY13. The consolidated net debt is likely to remain at the current levels. Maintain buy
Click here to read the full report
Edelweiss is one of the leading financial services company based in Mumbai, India. Its current businesses include investment banking, securities broking and investment management. They provide a wide range of services to corporations, institutional investors and high net-worth individuals.
For more information please write in to firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: The author has taken due care and caution to compile and analyse the data. The opinions expressed above are only the views of the author, and not a recommendation to buy or sell. Neither the author nor IndiaNotes.com accept any liability whatsoever arising from the use of any of the above contents.
- Third Quarter Results: Investors recommended to buy Tata Steel on dips
- Tata Steel Q3FY15: Mixed set of earnings; Indian operations disappoint
- Stock Recommendation: Buy Tata Steel for a target of Rs424
- Tata Steel performance depreciates in third quarter FY15
- Tata Steel: Volume growth in India, margin expansion in Europe key drivers; Buy
Have a question?