Hindalco's standalone EBITDA disappoints during the quarter
- Indian operations post weak EBITDA, led by production issues: Standalone EBITDA at Rs4.6bn was ~43% below estimates, led by production issues in both copper and aluminium segments. Copper smelters were shut for nearly 34 days resulting in production of only 69kt (down 37% q-o-q) whereas aluminium suffered power outages, leading to a 9% q-o-q fall in output to 131kt. Other expenses shot up 37% q-o-q partly due to higher repair costs of Rs400mn-450mn and increased freight of Rs150mn. While the q-o-q copper and aluminium production are expected to go up by 15kt-20kt and 10kt respectively in Q2FY13, it is likely to normalize fully in the coming 1-2 quarters.
- Novelis’ EBITDA beats estimates; guides for further improvement: Novelis reported an adjusted EBITDA of $259mn, ~11% ahead of the estimate of $234mn with total volumes of 748kt (estimate: 738kt) and EBITDA/t of $346 (estimate: $317). Both volume and EBITDA/t have been improving over the last two quarters and are up ~10% each from the bottom reached in Q3FY12. With the guidance for a further improvement, Novelis expects FY13 EBITDA to be flat y-o-y at $1.05bn (estimate: $959mn).
Outlook and valuations: Factoring lower production and high costs in the standalone entity (no change in Novelis estimates), Edelweiss lowers the consolidated EBITDA estimates by 4.5%/3.5% for FY13/FY14 respectively. Accordingly the target price gets revised down to Rs139 (Rs147earlier). On revised estimates, the stock currently trades at 7.4xFY14E. Maintain buy
Click here to read the full report
Edelweiss is one of the leading financial services company based in Mumbai, India. Its current businesses include investment banking, securities broking and investment management. They provide a wide range of services to corporations, institutional investors and high net-worth individuals.
For more information please write in to firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: The author has taken due care and caution to compile and analyse the data. The opinions expressed above are only the views of the author, and not a recommendation to buy or sell. Neither the author nor IndiaNotes.com accept any liability whatsoever arising from the use of any of the above contents.
- Short-term Technical Pick: Sell Hindalco Industries
- Q3FY15 results: Buy Hindalco for target price 173 and add on dips 132-139
- Hindalco Q3FY15: Improved top-line performance; Buy & add on dips
- Q3FY15: Hindalco misses street expectations on all counts
- Q3FY15: Investors recommended to buy Hindalco for a target of Rs170
Have a question?
Technical Analyst - Stock4gains.com
Also On IndiaNotes.Com
- Eight personal finance tips if you just started earning
- Wallet stolen? Here's how you can get back on your feet
- Stock Recommendation: Accumulate D-Link with a target price of Rs195
- Cipla: Limited upside; Rating downgraded to neutral