Bharti Airtel: Disappointing Q1FY13, PAT declines 37% y-o-y
- Bharti reported disappointing 1QFY13 with PAT declining 37% y-o-y and 24% q-o-q to Rs7.6b, significantly below the estimate of Rs10.7b. While India & SA margins eroded sharply on Bharti's increased aggression to protect revenue market share, performance in Africa was hit largely due to adverse macro factors.
- Consolidated revenue of Rs 193.5b (+ 3.3% q-o-q) was 1% above estimate. However EBITDA/PAT were 8/29% below estimates due to 300bp q-o-q EBITDA margin decline. Reported PAT was boosted by Rs1.6b forex gain.
- Revenue for India and South Asia (SA) grew 8.6% y-o-y and 2.2% q-o-q to Rs137.2b (1% above est). EBIDTA declined 8% q-o-q led by 9/6% q-o-q decline in mobile/passive infrastructure segments.
- India and SA operating costs increased 17% y-o-y and 7.7% q-o-q. EBITDA margin decline was largely led by higher SGA (160bp) and network costs (125bp).
- India mobile traffic grew 3.7% q-o-q and mobile RPM declined 2.5% q-o-q to 42.7p; both in line with the estimates. Churn levels remain elevated at ~9% per month.
- Africa EBIDTA declined 8% q-o-q to USD275m (vs est of flat EBITDA) on a 0.4% q-o-q revenue growth (2.7% traffic growth, 3.1% RPM decline). EBITDA margin declined 200bp q-o-q to 25.8%.
- Africa business has been impacted due to higher economic linkages of African economies with Europe, violence in Nigeria/DRC and increased competition in Ghana.
- Consolidated net debt increased by Rs32.5b q-o-q to ~Rs683b. Finance cost declined 22% q-o-q to Rs8.2b as Bharti reported a forex gain of Rs1.6b vs loss of Rs1.8b in 4QFY12.
Outlook: Motilal Oswal downgrades the EBITDA estimates by 10-11% and PAT by 47-48% led by lower margin assumptions. Traffic/revenue growth is likely to be under pressure in 2QFY13 due to seasonality.
Motilal Oswal now expects 8% EBITDA CAGR over FY12-14E. The stock trades at EV/EBITDA of 7.1x FY13E and 6x FY14E. Rating is Under Review.
Click here to read the full report
Motilal Oswal was founded in 1987 as a small sub-broking unit, with just two people running the show. Today it has a 2000 member team with a networth of Rs7 bn and market capitalization as of March 31, 2008 at Rs19 bn.
For more information please write in to email@example.com
Disclaimer: The author has taken due care and caution to compile and analyse the data. The opinions expressed above are only the views of the author, and not a recommendation to buy or sell. Neither the author nor IndiaNotes.com accept any liability whatsoever arising from the use of any of the above contents.
- Bharti Airtel Q1FY15: Registers healthy growth in domestic operations
- Short Term Opportunity: Buy Bharti Airtel
- Bharti Airtel 1QFY15 revenue above estimates; buy
- Hold Bharti Airtel Ltd For Target Rs.370
- Bharti Airtel talking good days; buy
Have a question?