- Despite strong growth in the last few years, the Indian housing finance industry remains fairly underpenetrated. This coupled with changing demographics offers strong growth potential for housing finance companies. HDFC is confident of achieving 18-20% asset growth over the next 5-10 years.
- Subsidiaries /associates have grown sizable and have become self-sufficient. The life insurance business has turned profitable and should not need further capital infusion. HDFC does not need to dilute capital to fund subsidiaries; strong core RoE will help fund own growth. Value unlocking through listing of insurance subsidiary could provide capital for infusion in HDFC Bank, as and when needed.
- HDFC largely maintains its guidance on its four core parameters - (1) consolidated RoE to improve by 100bp (except for FY13, due to warrant conversion) every year for the next three years, (2) growth to be maintained at 18 20%, (3) spreads to be in the 2.15-2.35% range, and (4) cost-to-income ratio may not improve in FY13 due to acquisition of new office building and change in taxation-related provisions on certain services.
Recommendation: Motilal Oswal believes that the valuations are attractive, considering the growth potential (FY12-14E earnings CAGR of ~20%), sound business fundamentals, and substantially improved performance of subsidiaries. Buy with an SOTP-based TP of Rs800 (17% upside).
Click here to read the full report
Motilal Oswal was founded in 1987 as a small sub-broking unit, with just two people running the show. Today it has a 2000 member team with a networth of Rs7 bn and market capitalization as of March 31, 2008 at Rs19 bn.
For more information please write in to firstname.lastname@example.org
Disclaimer: The author has taken due care and caution to compile and analyse the data. The opinions expressed above are only the views of the author, and not a recommendation to buy or sell. Neither the author nor IndiaNotes.com accept any liability whatsoever arising from the use of any of the above contents.
- HDFC: Steady quarter; Buy for a target of Rs1410
- HDFC reports steady trends in individual loan growth; Accumulate
- HDFC Q2FY15 preview: NII is likely to remain strong at Rs18.4 bn
- HDFC Q2FY15 preview: NII growth to be strong at 21%, accumulate
- HDFC Q1FY15: Stable quarter but risk-reward not as attractive; accumulate
Have a question?
Also On IndiaNotes.Com
- For medium-long term investment, buy this stock
- Zensar Tech: Good performance to continue; Buy & add on dips